It was on Palm Sunday in April, 1923 that Ms. Gladys Merritt invited eight enthusiastic teachers of Jersey City, New Jersey to her home to organize a sorority, which became known as the National Sorority of Phi Delta Kappa.
Today, there are more than 120 Chapters with a membership of over 4,000 members, located in five regions: Eastern, Southeast, Far West, Midwest, and Southwest.
Front Row (left to right): Gladys Cannon Nunery, Julia Asbury Barnes, Gladys Merritt Ross (Mother Founder), Florence Steel Hunt.
Second Row (left to right): Ella Well Butler, Marguerite Gross, and Mildred Morris Williams. Not Shown: Edna McConnell.